Open Prosthetics (OP) is a web-based education and collaboration initiative of the Shared Design Alliance, a 501(c)3 non-profit corporation. We are dedicated to facilitating crowd-sourced curation of information and collaboration in the field of prosthetics and coping with missing body parts in general. OP was created and has been maintained with the hope of producing useful innovations, and of creating an environment conducive to the creation of such innovations: the "adjacent possible"
OP is a forum for collaboration among users, designers and funders with the goal of making our creations available for anyone to use and build upon. The site seeks to inspire and serve a core group of lead users and to speed up and amplify the impact of their innovations in the industry.
With the launch of this new site, OP consolidates for the first time the functions previously contained in as many as five sites created by the original founders: social networking, wiki, blog, collaboration and project management. Perhaps most importantly, this new version of the website adds the simple capability to share and add metadata to a variety of internet link types, including images, videos, patents, news, products, companies, and academic articles. Think of it as Pinterest, but beyond images, with different features tailored to deal with each of these link types in a slightly different way. In this way, OP is designed to focus on content about a niche area of knowledge about which more common tools have failed to easily lead to useful information.
Where our previous main page at openprosthetics.org was a TextPattern blog, this site contains a wiki like the one we maintained at Wikispot, has social aspects like our Ning site, and has the capability of sorting and categorizing many types of shared links in a much better way than a list serv.
We invite you to join us in helping contribute to a productive dialog around innovation in prosthetics, testing its capabilities, and in extending and repurposing those capabilities to other ends. If you elect to join our community, we assume that you agree to our Terms of Service as outlined below.
Shared Design Alliance
Terms of Service*
Please read these Terms of Service – this Agreement – carefully before joining and participating in our community. By joining our community and posting or editing content on the OP website, you agree to become bound by the terms and conditions of this Agreement. If you do not agree to all the terms of this Agreement, then you may not join our community and post or edit on the OP website. If these terms and conditions are considered an offer by SDA, acceptance is expressly limited to these terms. Your agreement is with SDA.
Joining and participating in our community requires that you register with OP. You agree to provide us with complete and accurate information when you register as a user. You will be solely responsible for any activity that occurs under your username. You are responsible for keeping your password secure.
- Your Account and postings or activities pursuant to your username and possword: You are responsible for maintaining the security of your account username and password, and are personally responsible for any activities on our site that occur under your username and password. You must immediately notify SDA and OP of any unauthorized use of your username and password, your account, or any other breaches of security. SDA and OP will not be liable for any acts or omissions by you, including any damages of any kind incurred as a result of such acts or omission.
- Your responsibility regarding computers used to access OP website: You are responsible for keeping your computer used to access the OP website free of viruses, worms, Trojan horses, and other harmful or destructive content. The OP website will contain designs and commentary posted by users, as well as by OP principals. These designs posted by us or our users are simply for informational purposes, and SDA and OP disclaim any responsibility for any harm resulting from your use of our website, or from any downloading of content from our website.
- Your responsibility regarding material and links to outside websites posted to the OP website: We have not reviewed, and cannot review, all the material and links to material, made available on the OP website by users. SDA and OP do not have any control over outside websites or non-OP material, and are not responsible for this outside content or its use. By allowing users to share content from other websites, organizations, or individuals, SDA and OP do not imply that we endorse or verify such website or outside content. OP cannot investigate, monitor, or check such outside websites and non-OP content for accuracy, appropriateness or completeness. We specifically disclaim and deny any and all responsibility for the accuracy, safety, or legitimacy of any such outside material.
- Copyright, trademark, and patent infringement: SDA and OP offer designs and information through a variety of open mechanisms in order to facilitate innovation within the prosthetic community and marketplace. However, SDA and OP respect the intellectual property rights of others. Should you post or link to material that is protected under any law as intellectual property, you alone will be responsible for any infringement claimed by the owner of that intellectual property. If you believe that content posted to the OP website by its authorized users or by OP violates your intellectual property rights, you are encouraged to notify OP. OP will respond to all such notices, including as required or appropriate, by removing the infringing material or disabling all links to the infringing material. SDA will terminate a user’s access to and use of the Website if, under appropriate circumstances, the user is determined to be a repeat infringer of the other intellectual property rights of others.
- Changes: From time to time we may need to change the terms under which participation in the OP community is offered. If we make changes that are material, we will let you know by posting on our website or by sending you an email or other communication before the changes take effect. The notice will designate a reasonable period of time after which the new terms will take effect. If you disagree with our changes, then you should stop participating in our OP community within the designated notice period. Your continued participation in our OP community will be subject to the new terms. However, any dispute that arose before the changes shall be governed by the Terms (including the binding individual arbitration clause) that were in place when the dispute arose.
- Termination: SDA and OP may terminate your access to our community at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice, effective immediately. If you wish to terminate this Agreement or your OP user account, you may simply discontinue your participation. All provisions of this Agreement which by their nature should survive termination shall survive termination, including, without limitation, ownership provisions, warranty disclaimers, indemnity, and limitations of liability.
- Disclaimer of Warranties: All designs and commentary regarding prosthetics offered through the OP website are provided “as is” and are for informational purposes only. SDA and OP hereby disclaim all warranties of any kind, express or implied, including, without limitation, the warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particulate purpose, and non-infringement. Neither SDA nor OP makes any warranty that our designs, commentary, or information posted on the OP site will be error free or that access thereto will be continuous or uninterrupted. You understand that you download from, or otherwise obtain content or services through our website at your own discretion and risk.
- Limitation of Liability: In no event will SDA or OP be liable with respect to any subject matter of this Agreement under any contract, negligence, strict liability or other legal or equitable theory for (1) any special, incidental, or consequential damages; (2) the cost of procurement for substitute products or services; or (3) for interruption of use. The foregoing shall not apply to the extent prohibited by applicable law.
- Applicable Law: Except to the extent applicable law, if any, provides otherwise, this Agreement, any access to or use of our Services will be governed by the laws of the state of North Carolina, U.S.A., excluding its conflict of law provisions, and the proper venue for any disputes arising out of or relating to any of the same will be the state and federal courts located in Durham, North Carolina.
- Arbitration Agreement: Except for claims for injunctive or equitable relief or claims regarding intellectual property rights (which may be brought in any competent court without the posting of a bond), any dispute arising under this Agreement shall be finally settled in accordance with the Arbitration Rules of the Arbitration Service of Portland, Inc. (“ASP”) by three arbitrators appointed in accordance with such Rules. The arbitration shall take place in Portland, Oregon in the English language and the arbitral decision may be enforced in any court. The prevailing party in any action or proceeding to enforce this Agreement shall be entitled to costs and attorneys’ fees.
*These terms of service are an edited version of the WordPress terms of service. Our version is shared according to WordPress' terms under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-SA 4.0).